Tuesday, June 23, 2020

June 23, 2020

1 Nephi 4

Verse 1, Nephi talks about being diligent in keeping the commandments of the Lord and going after the plates.  Interesting how he calls it a commandment.  I think we, or I, think of commandments as the things that are explicitly called out as commandments by ancient or modern day prophets - whether in scripture or in word.  Nephi considered his task a commandment from God.  I wonder if we would be more dligent ourselves in following the Spirit if we thought of every time we are touched by the Spirit as a commandment, not just a good idea.  After all, isn't a commandment really anything we believe the Lord has asked us to do, or not do?  So how is ignoring a spiritual prompting different than bearing false witness?  That's an impactful thought for me.  I think I will try to think of my little promptings differently - more like Nephi.  I just received my own commandment, and I should be diligent in keeping commandments.

Verse 37: I know this is probably not a revolutionary thought, but the second that Zoram gave his word, Nephi says their fears about him were gone.  I am considering that statement in so many ways.  When I say I will do something, does anybody still fear I will not do it?  Do I consider the oaths, or commitments I make fully before making them, with an oath to myself that indeed I will follow through?  I know I never deliberately mislead people, but I would say that while my intentions are good, I don't know that people always experience complete comfort that I will always deliver what I commit to. 

The other thing I need to do better at is making sure my kids know that when they say something, they are expected to complete it, period.  I think I often get so swamped and forget what commitments they have made to me, and forget to insist they report on their activities to which they have committed.  I am doing them a disservice, whether they know it or not, by not holding them accountable.  Because the world, and the Lord, will ensure that there is accountability. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 3, 2020 General Conference

 Something so comforting about starting conference with President Nelson opening up the conference. There's a confirming spirit when the...