Wednesday, June 24, 2020

June 24, 2020

1 Nephi 5:

Couple thoughts to record today.  The first comes right out of the first few verses, where Sariah famously 'murmurs' about Lehi and his 'out of the mainstream' visions.  I haven't often thought about the risk that was being taken be Lehi himself.  Sariah seems particularly concerned that danger might befall her boys.  But the truth is, no boys, no food, no food, no live.  He wasn't putting his sons in nearly as much danger as he was subjecting himself and Sariah to.  Pretty gutsy, but I guess that's what faith is.  It's really not faith if it costs you nothing to believe.  And therein lies the question - how much faith have I truly had to exercise?  What has been the cost of my faith?  Not much.  Joseph Smith made the oft quoted statement that "“a religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things never has the power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation.”  So faith and Sacrifice are partners - probably over the course of a life they will constantly show up as companions.

Another point worth thinking on was verse 5, as it relates closely to the risk conversation.   These are words quoted from Lehi prior to the return of the 4 boys from Jerusalem.  He says, "I know that the Lord will deliver my sons out of the hands of Laban".  Clearly he knew this thing was riddled with risk.  That statement makes it obvious that Lehi didn't expect those boys to be able to saunter into Laban's courtard and say, What's up Labe - can I get those plates quick like?"  He expected confrontation and turmoil, but he had no doubt.  That's a heap of faith.  The list of things that could have gone wrong is endless, and many of them end in starvation or death at the hands of villain. An actuary would never have bought off on this trip given the timing, the equipment, and the adversaries.  But Lehis' faith is the reason I sit here this moment.  What a guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 3, 2020 General Conference

 Something so comforting about starting conference with President Nelson opening up the conference. There's a confirming spirit when the...