Thursday, June 25, 2020

June 25, 2020

1 Ne 7: I'm curious as to the comment of Nephi in verse 4, where he talks about finding favor with Ishmael, insomuch that "we did speak unto him the words of the Lord".  The word that stands out in that phrase is "we".  It was the same cast of characters that went for the plates, and we doesn't just mean Nephi, and I presume it wasn't just Sam either.  So if Laman and Lemuel were part of it, I can't imagine it was phony.  Nephi and Lehi are a tough act to hang with.  Their faith is so intense that I think most people would be intimidated, and maybe even resentful.  The things they're asked to do are pretty extreme.  There are other spots in the Book of Mormon where we see redeeming qualities in Laman and Lemuel - and I think this is also one of them.  The problem is, it can't just be in good times, and it has to be consistent.

I think consistent discipline in self mastery and bending our will to the Father are the things that matter most.  I think nearly every person has flashes of goodness and kindness, for 'the Spirit giveth light to every man that comes into the world'.  The challenge is how that sticks in times like . . . well, when Laban steals all your stuff and tries to kill you.  I think in this case, there is no reason to "NOT" do the right thing - and let's face it, there's upside if Ishmael gets onboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 3, 2020 General Conference

 Something so comforting about starting conference with President Nelson opening up the conference. There's a confirming spirit when the...