Well, a couple things to ponder on that. First, having a testimony of God's will doesn't necessarily mean that one will follow it. Agency is a rascal, and it's real. In fact, my opinion is that the only sins that really do weigh heavily in the balance are those that we make willingly, "against the greater light" if you will. In other words, I'm not convinced necessarily that Laman/Lemuel just forgot. Fact is that they simply have used their agency in the past - as they are doing now - to do what they want, not what they know is right.
That said, forgetting is a real thing. I don't know that we forget the experiences, but we do forget the conviction of the SPirit we felt when we had those experiences. And those feelings are the things that make a testimony, and they stay kindled insomuch as we continue to put wood on that little fire. I'm not sure how many people forget any of the good experiences, I think people just experience that the Spirit ceases to strive because the person ceases to strive.
One more snarky comment that may or may not be legit, but in verse 20 and the bowing down before Nephi for forgiveness - not sure I'm buying. I think they realized Lehi is going to flip if he find out so they thought they'd try to smooth it over realtime. But i do like that Nephi suggestion that before they do anything, they get the Lord's forgiveness then move on.
No comments:
Post a Comment