Friday, June 5, 2020

June 5, 2020

This morning on the way into work I was listening to a talk from Elder Eyring given at the Spring 2020 General Conference.  A statement from that talk stood out to me that I had missed in previous times listening.  He simply stated that our Heavenly Father "Guides us step by step, never forcing".

I began to consider that thought, and thought about the steps that I may have taken, at the subtle but clear guidance that I have sometimes received but chosen not to take the step.  I sometimes wonder if I am not yet who I could have been at this point in my life had I been willing to take each step that I was guided to take.  Alas, He is 'never forcing', and it has always been my own choice as to whether or not I would be willing to take the step.

The reality is that step by step is indeed the way that the path is to be trod.  I don't believe there are gigantic leaps one takes in their spiritual growth.  When you take one step, then and only then can you be guided to the next one, and so it goes . . . or doesn't go.  Unwillingness to take a small step means simply that you stay just where you are.  And the cost to staying where you are can be dangerously high.  Because the evidence is pretty clear on staying where you are: it actually really doesn't happen.  I think a person is either moving forward or backward, staying is not an option as much as we might try to convince ourselves we're fine right where we are.  We're not fine right where we are, because stopping is never fine. 

And momentum is much more challenging to maintain than to initiate.  I will continue to pray and hope that I can generate the momentum I will need to sustain my stepping forward.  Two days in a row, not much, but not nothin'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 3, 2020 General Conference

 Something so comforting about starting conference with President Nelson opening up the conference. There's a confirming spirit when the...