Wednesday, July 8, 2020

July 8, 2020

Just received a phone call from an old friend from my MBA program.  He's one with whom I haven't spoken in probably 15 years.  He's a risk manager for a big investment bank and while he called to have a long overdue check in, it became something of a bleak discussion about the pandemic and the shadow of what he expects will be more crisis yet to fall on our global economy.  Frankly, it was quite unsettling, and he's somebody I trust.  I haven't been sure what to do, and frankly I still am not sure.  However, I willed myself back to the scriptures, though my inclination was to do something else to distract me from these disconcerting thoughts.

But I made it back to Nephi 11 when we see the visions that were shown to Nephi by the angel of whom he asked to see the things which his father had seen.  A couple scriptures jumped out to me - verse 28 may be the one in particular that illustrates the the thought that is most poignant to me.  He went among the people ministering to them with power and great glory, and multitudes came to him.  And then they cast Him out from among them.  In verse 31 we continue to see the miracles and wonders he produces for the people, healing sick, blessing children, casting out evil.  And in 32, we read that he is then judged of them and in 33 slain by them.

I can't help but think how this great, promised land that was built by the hand of God himself, beneath the banner of righteousness under Him, has so flourished with the blessing of His love and compassion.  As a nation we have thrived as none other in the history of mankind, and He has shown His face.  But we continue to cast Him out.  Like never before we are filling in the space which He once filled with our wisdom, our distractions, our self-importance, our selfish priorities and pride.  We have watched his miracles unfold in innumerable blessings and like the Jews of old, we have determined to judge Him, and too many of us have found Him to be out of alignment with what we want for ourselves and our lives.  Such was the case with those who took his life.  He did nothing to hurt them, but He simply was not aligned with their selfishness and ambitions, and eventually the power struggle had to end.  There is simply no logical reason why Christ would have had to die, as there is no good reason why so many people have to find reasons to squeeze God from our society.  

And I can't help but wonder, is this pandemic a sign of what happens when we as a people crowd God from the space He once inhabited in our world, in our lives, in our hearts, in our homes and families.  These verses in Nephi 11 are a grave warning of what could be, and I fear unfortunately that we are not inclined to look to Him for a path out of this mess we're in.

But I can look to Him, and my family can look to Him.  We can have faith and trust and give way for him to fill us.  We can make more space in our homes for Him to live here, and his presence will bring the blessings that His presence has always brought.  I pray I will always keep my own faith to trust Him, and make room for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 3, 2020 General Conference

 Something so comforting about starting conference with President Nelson opening up the conference. There's a confirming spirit when the...