Tuesday, July 7, 2020

July 7, 2020

1 Nephi 11 is full of the goods.  Verse 6 is to me one of the iconic scriptures on Faith.  I think maybe one of the Deseret Book keychains or tee shirts could base a logo on this verse; the logo would say, "Believe and Behold".  Nephi is asked if he believes, and he says to the angel, effectively, 'you know i believe'.  I wonder why the angel asked him if he already knew the answer.  Maybe it was so the angel could make sure to communicate the pattern - Believe and Behold. 

This is primary stuff, but the principle woven in here teaches that we need to have faith first, so then we are rewarded with something marvelous to behold.  Hebrews 11 talks all about faith, verse 6 says that "he the cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is the rewarder of them that diligently seek him".  

It is so obvious to make the following point that I hesitate to do so, but it's important: most of us would like to flip those terms - we'd like to behold then believe.  The scriptures are chalk full of such examples, not the least of which was Korihor.  It simply doesn't work.  Perhaps because in the believing we are required to diligently seek, and the diligently seeking is paramount in preparing ourselves to "behold".  The diligently seeking is the birthplace of humility and therefore learning and understanding.  Humility is the place where we are emptied and as such can be filled.  I think of the various places in the scriptures where we hear "full of pride" and "stripped of pride".  I think the idea of being full and being empty, or stripped, are great metaphors for our seceptibility to being taught, or being filled with the things of God and of the eternities.

One thing to add, and it is loosely related.  Sunday i listened to my younger brother Brady give my mom one of the powerful blessings I've heard in my life.  I was so honored to be there, proud of him and his righteousness, and grateful to Heavenly Father for the words that were sent down on my mom's behalf.  I believe Brady's humility was at the heart of his ability to receive those words - his being stripped of pride in that moment such that he could be filled.  It was a beautiful day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 3, 2020 General Conference

 Something so comforting about starting conference with President Nelson opening up the conference. There's a confirming spirit when the...